Friday, January 19, 2007

Screw Your Technology!

I'm sick of my crap not working.

Understand I've always been one of the "early adopter" types. I love checking out the new stuff, even when it's not quite ready for prime time.

But I've run into issues recently that are about to drive me to drink (more). And I even waited for the production versions to be released.

I'm running Windows Vista Business. Vista hasn't been released to the general public yet, but it has been released to businesses and Microsoft partners. Of course, running a brand new operating system will always present challenges, but when Office 2007 (also brand new) keeps crashing, you know there's a problem.

And don't even get me started on trying to set up an AirCard on this Vista machine. Ugh.

Then there's SharePoint. The brand new version of SharePoint has just been released. One of the great new features of this version of SharePoint is the ability to build custom workflows. I have a client who needs just this kind of functionality. So, I'm trying to build a simple workflow to rename a document when it gets put into a Document Library. No dice. It took 2 days just to get something built that would install into SharePoint successfully. Feeling good about that, I set out to fire off my workflow to test it.

"Failed on Start." That's all it says. No error message. Just "Failed on Start."

I wrote previously that I'd decided to buy a Zune. I still plan to, but am wondering what kind of headaches that will bring.

Maybe it's because I'm getting dangerously close to the age of 40, but I'm starting to get pretty cranky about being on the leading edge. I think I may have to start creeping back toward that trailing edge a little bit.

I'm sure it will reduce my blood pressure.

1 comment:

what is a digital signature said...

Hi there! glad to drop by your page and found these very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing, keep it up!