Friday, March 04, 2005

More Pick

Great post by Dan on Calvin Pickering. I especially agree with Dan regarding the number of pitchers to carry on the major league roster. I recently heard that the Royals were considering carrying 12 or 13 pitchers. That extra pitcher would likely cost a roster spot for Pick. So the question is... would that marginal pitcher win more or fewer games than Pickering could. It it's late in a close game, I'd feel much better having an offensive weapon on the bench as opposed to yet another arm in the bullpen.

Regarding XM Radio's Home Plate channel... In the two weeks I've been listening, I hadn't yet heard anything about the Royals until this morning. When I got in the car, I caught the tail end of Larry Bowa discussing pitching phenom Zack Grienke. Grienke faced Bowa's Phillies last year and Bowa was impressed. He couldn't believe Grienke was only 20 years old at the time. The show also featured an interview with Royals interim third baseman Chris Truby. Truby is a marginal player at best who will keep the seat warm until Mark Teahan is ready for his promotion from AAA to the majors.

No comments: