Thursday, May 26, 2005

Royals Rants

A couple of things....

First, how awful is Bob Davis? My apologies to KU fans (Davis also serves as the radio voice of Jayhawk basketball), but Davis is the worst baseball announcer. Ever. I've never understood why Davis is considered such a sports legend in this town. He's awful.

And I love Paul Splittorf. He was one of my favorites back when he pitched with the Royals. But he's not much better as an announcer. It makes the Royals television broadcasts impossible to listen to. I ALWAYS turn down the volume and listen to Denny Matthews and Ryan Lefevre on the radio. I was relieved to read that somebody else feels the same way.

Secondly, why are the Royals in such a rush to hire a new manager? Do they really think that hiring a Jerry Manuel or Buddy Bell will turn this season around? Let's be honest, this season is a lost one. Let Schaef finish out the season, then try to grab a real manager after the season. It seems to me that you could talk to Lou Pinella or Bobby Valentine or somebody after the season. They need to make a hire that's going to spark some interest in the team. We all know this is a short-term hire. Make it somebody who will get Kansas City talking about the Royals. Sweet Lou, Bobby V, or even Larry Bowa. I just don't think Art Howe is going to create a push in ticket sales...

1 comment:

Harry Hostetter said...

I agree with both Davis and Splittorf, who seems to be about ready to pass out while he is talking.

I think that no matter who is hired as manager there will be a very short term spike in ticket sales. After that the fans will once again see that the Royals are nothing more then minor leaguers on a major league roster.