Sunday, December 07, 2003

Loss 2
The Chiefs suffered the second loss of the season this year. Several years ago, I was a die-hard Chiefs fan. In college, I lived and died with the Chiefs (back then, mosty died). In 1989, I graduated from college, and landed my first full-time job. My first major purchase was season tickets to the Chiefs. That was the same year that Lamar Hunt finally got tired of losing and hire Carl Peterson to lead the team. Peterson brought Marty Schottenheimer to KC, and the Chiefs began a reign of NFL success. My girlfriend and then wife accompanied me to many tailgate parties and games through the years.

Over the last couple of years, however, I've grown tired of the Arrowhead experience. I still fork over the cash for season tickets each year, and I attend at least half of the games, but I just can't seem to enjoy it like I used to. I think it is the effect of growing old(er). I just don't enjoy fighting the crowds there. Since 9/11, getting in the gates is a tedious task involving bag searches and pat-downs. I've gotten to the point where I'd much rather sit in my comfortable living room and enjoy the game. This could be a result of spending so much time at Kauffman Stadium over the last few years. I've come to a point in my life where the slower, more relaxed feel of baseball is much more desireous. Of course, that being said, I did just recently send in my check for playoff tickets. There's hope in me that I can enjoy a successful post-season. Perhaps if the team can reach the Super Bowl (oh wait, I'm not a license holder - the Championship Game in Houston) I can then pass my fandome on to others.

No comments: